Tuesday, April 18, 2006
Personal Brown

Yesterday I walked around with my parents in their beautiful neighborhood in North Baltimore City. They live in a neighborhood from the 20s called "Homeland" http://www.homelandassociation.org/. The homes are beautiful and unique. My parents have lived there almost all my life, and have seen the neighborhood appreciate in value greatly--no wonder, these are beautiful homes built to last.
I live catty-corner from a prefab in Hampden going for some retarded amount of munney--I asked my pap how long these new homes built were to last. He sed somewhere between 18 and 20 years. So by the time you're done w/ the mortgage, the thing's falling apart? Were they built w/ the intention that the residents wouldn't live there for more than 5 years or so? Why are they tearing down old shit to put new shit up? I know sometimes the old houses aren't salvagable, but if they've got another 20 years left anyway, why not just fix em up? What was the mentality of the folks who built the homes in my parents' neighborhood? To make grand houses to last a long time--glory of city, glory of life? What do these new ones glorify?
